2011 Race Schedule

So I have decided on a few races for the year.  Most of these I am pretty sure about doing, and though nothing has been set in stone, I don't think my schedule will change all that much.  SO! here we go...

February 26th
When the year started, I wasn't planning on participating in this event.  K Jo has a yearly goal of racing in at least four half marathons every year.  In accordance with that goal, she decided to to the Dog Town Half Marathon on Feb 26th.  One day, I commented on my facebook page that I was aching for a warm summer day to ride my bike and a guy I met at the Viva Bike Vegas commented that I should come down and do the Zion Early Spring Century.  K Jo was reading over my shoulder and told me that if I wanted to ride, I could... SOLD!  So, I am now registered and planning on riding.  This ride starts in St George, then winds its way through Washington, then heads South around Sand Hollow State Park where it turns North through Hurricane, and La Verkin then it follows SR-9 to the entrance of Zion National Park (DANG! If it went all the way to US-89, I could take care of SR-9 for the state road project, oh well, another day) where it turns around and heads back to St George.  Total mileage is somewhere around 107 and there is only 3000 ft of climbing... okay, that is a lot, but compared to the other century rides I have done (Vegas: 6100 ft, Tri States: 7700 ft) it's not all that much...  I'm crazy...  Looking forward to this one!

May 7th
  
That's right, I have decided to do a marathon.  I wanted to wait to attempt such a long race, but I decided late last year that I want to eventually complete a full ironman triathlon (2.4 mi swim, 112 mi bike, 26.2 mi run).  I will probably attempt this in 2013 and I will either do the Ironman Florida, or the Ironman Arizona so, I wanted to see how my body would react to the full marathon distance before I attempt that race... a marathon it is!  This one fit well into my schedule for the year.  This race starts in Provo Canyon, Descends the Provo River Trail then follows University Ave heads past the mall to Utah Lake State Park, then again following the Provo River Trail back to University where it ends.  The race descends about 1100 ft, so I think this will be a good first marathon.  

June 4th
 I know I said I was going to do this race last year, and then never did, but I am for sure going to do it this year.  This race is done by a company called On Hill Events (they did the Bear Lake Brawl last year), and I found out that if I volunteer an On Hill Events race one day, I can get free registration for a different race.  I will be volunteering at the Legacy Duathlon, so that I can get free registration to The Willard Bay Tri.  This one will be an Olympic distance tri (1500 m swim, 24.4 mi bike, 6.2 mi run).  The swim will be in Willard Bay, the bike is two laps of a 12.2 mi course that loops around the farmlands of Plain City and Farr West, and the run skirts the southern end of Willard Bay.  Looks like a good solid race and I am looking forward to it. 

July 9th
No, that is not a typo... If you thought I was crazy for riding 112 miles with 7700 ft of climbing, you will want to medicate me for considering this one.  110 miles, 12000+ feet of climbing.  The ride starts at Skyline High School, climbs Little Cottonwood Canyon, then Big Cottonwood Canyon, then Mill Creek Canyon, then Emigration Canyon, then you ride back to Skyline High School, thus the "canyons" part of the name... thank you Captain Obvious... The "I think I can" is in the name because this ride benefits the Fourth Street Clinic which you may remember was the beneficiary of a race I did last year.  As crazy as it sounds, I am REALLY looking forward to this ride, the only problem is I will have to take two days off work to do it, which will be really difficult, but oh well.


July 16th
Again, I said I was going to do this one last year, but instead ended up going to California for the Strawberry Fields Triathlon, which was fun, but expensive.  This race is pricey too, but I have wanted to do it for a while so this year I will finally get to it... maybe... K Jo has a week off work and July 16th is right in the middle of that week off, so we'll see.  We may end up going to this race then going to Moab for a few days... again... we'll see.  

August 27th
 I did this race last year, and I had a blast, but I didn't reach my goal of breaking 6 hours, so I am going back to beat this thing.  The course is a little different, this year it goes around the lake instead of out and back on the East side of the lake.  This race will also be free, well, the registration will be free because, as I said before, it is an On Hill Event and I will be volunteering at the Layton Triathlon on July 30th.  I think I would like to do the Layton Tri in the future.  It is unique.  You swim 300 m, bike 5.5 mi, then run 1.55 mi, then do it all over again.  I have been in contact with the race director and he said he has thought about adding one more lap... I am going to try to convince him to do that... then I will race...

September 24th
Did this one last year too, but I love it so I want to do it again.  I may bump up to the long distance for 2011 though, just to see how I do.  I have a long time to decide.  It's also worth mentioning that LoToJa is on September 10th of this year.  I will be applying, but it is doubtful that I'll get in... We'll see, if I get, in, I'm doing it, if not, I'll apply next year. 

November 5th
Had so much fun last year, I decided to do it again this year.  K Jo will probably join me for this one.  She wants to get her four half marathons out of the way early in the year so she can start riding her bike to do a couple century rides later on in the year.  Nothing on the plate for October just yet.  Viva Bike Vegas is in October, but I haven't seen a set date for that yet... 

Well, I hope you enjoyed reviewing my race calendar for 2011.  I look forward to racing and writing about it, I hope you look forward to following along.  I also hope that in training for all this racing, I do a few more state roads.  Look forward to that as well.  Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SR-173

SR-111

SR-248