SR-209: Finally, the official kick off, followed by military honors.


Last Wednesday, I started my seven on, which usually means that I don't get much riding in. Even when I do, it is usually a really short ride like 15 miles or so. However, on the 21st of July, my Paternal Grandfather passed away. I got funeral leave from work and had Sunday night off so I could go to his viewing Sunday night and his funeral Monday morning. I took advantage and woke up early Monday morning and headed to SR-209 aka 9000 S in Sandy. This route starts at SR-48 (New Bingham Hwy) and crosses SR-154 (Bangerter Hwy), SR-68 (Redwood Rd), I-15, US-89 (State St) and SR-71 (700 E) finally ending at SR-210 (Little Cottonwood Canyon).

I started from my home on about 8300 S and State about 7:45 and rode almost a mile to 9000 S then headed West. From State street heading west, this route is kind of scary for about 3/4 of a mile because there is no bike lane and lots of traffic, but it is pretty flat, so you can knock it out quick. The route then drops down towards the Jordan River. From there, you climb a short hill as you pass River Oaks Golf Course. The hill peaks right before Redwood Road. Now, when researching this ride, I found that UDOT's site, Wikipedia, and Google maps all say that SR-209 begins at New Bingham Hwy and ends at Little Cottonwood Canyon. ALSO, the mile markers for this road start at the intersection of New Bingham Hwy and 5600 W, but at the corner of 9000 S and Redwood (about 5 miles from New Bingham Hwy), I see a "209 end" sign. Weird. As I came back across Redwood headed East, I saw the sign you see above. Again, weird. Anyway all the way to New Bingham Hwy is a straight shot and it is a slight uphill grade so it took a while, but there is a nice bike lane the whole time. On the way you pass Mountain View Golf Course and Jordan Valley Hospital. I turned around at New Bingham Hwy and headed South then East, but not before taking a moment to marvel at the amount of earth moved from the Bingham Canyon Copper Mine. From 5600 W to Redwood is a slight downhill grade with a bike lane (I LOVE bike lanes) which usually means you can cruise the whole time around 30 mph.

Shortly after crossing SR-71, you pass Alta View Hospital (passing two hospitals on this ride makes it a good ride to crash on) while climbing a pretty good hill (I like climbing the hills, what can I say, I am a glutton for punishment) which comes right after 9000 S turns into 9400 S. The hill, pictured right is about a 6% grade for half a mile.



After cresting the climb, the road is pretty flat for about a mile and as you ride, you approach the mountains divided by Little Cottonwood Canyon.




After a slight bend, 9400 S turns into 9600 S via means of another hill, this one is about a 7% grade for a little less than half a mile.



After ascending this hill, the road is lined with large trees for about a mile which makes for nice shade. When you emerge from the trees, you see Wasatch Blvd and a really spectacular shot of the canyon.



After a few bends, a very easy climb and about a mile, the route concludes at the mouth of the canyon where it meets with SR-210.

I turned around here and shot home as fast as I could so I could make it to the funeral, and finally pulled in around 9:40. Total time out was a little less than 2 hours, actual riding time (because of traffic signals and picture taking) was 1:43:17. I went just under 30 miles and averaged 17.3 mph peaking at a top speed (down the hills) of 46.4 mph (I like descending hills too).

Much of the ride is pretty busy with traffic, but there are bike lanes, and wide shoulders which makes it good, save the 3/4 of a mile from State st to just West of the freeway which is kind of scary. The rest of the ride has narrow shoulders and sometimes badly damaged road, but there is very little traffic on these sections so riding here is not much of a problem. At 14.1 miles, this route is not very long, but a good ride anyway.

After arriving home, I slammed a Red Bull (little else is more refreshing than an ice cold Red Bull after a good ride), showered, and headed to Ogden for the funeral. Bruce White, my father's father, was born March 23rd 1933. He died in the company of family in his home on July 21st 2009.

He retired from the Air Force before I was born, and thus was buried with military honors. This included a flag which was draped over his coffin.


It was then folded and presented to my Grandma.


The Hill Air Force Base Honor Guard gave a gun salute, and I got video. The shots were louder than I expected and startled me, and obviously my Nephew James whom you can hear screaming in the back ground. During the last second of the video, you can just hear taps starting to play in the background

It was a very moving ceremony. During the funeral, my Dad gave a really great history of my Grandpa's life. He told a story. During his service, my Grandpa was stationed on the island of Guam. While living there, his mother suffered a stroke in Detroit, where he grew up. He left his wife and three young boys to care for his mother. After leaving Detroit, hopping various military flights home on November 12, 1962 while in San Francisco, Grandpa happened to pick up a paper and read an article that said the worst typhoon to ever hit Guam, Super Typhoon Karen, had just hit Guam. My Dad told us that the first thing my Grandma did when she heard a typhoon was coming was fill the tub with water for drinking, cooking etc. The Typhoon did more damage to the island than the Japanese did in in WWII. It took Grandpa two days to get to Guam, but when he arrived home he found his family and his home intact minus a swing set, a window and a banana tree. In the aftermath, they cooked their meals with charcoal briquettes on the lid of a garbage can, and drank the water from the tub, providing for themselves.

He was a great man, and he had a very fitting funeral. Rest in Peace, Grandpa, we love you and will miss you.


Chris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SR-173

SR-111

SR-248